Friday, March 7, 2014

What have you learned about yourself through blogging?

Quite a lot actually. I haven't ever not been writing; of course I haven't committed to writing everyday but I've always been around writing, either through work or through my own blog. What I've learned about myself primarily through writing is that you have to put yourself out there. I'm an introvert, I don't share what I write, I am more of a closed person. Or I was till writing happened to me. I felt like I could say anything. The world just opened up. I don't care if my opinions weren't appreciated, but hell! it felt good just to say them out loud. 

Blogging has taught me I'm something of a writing enthusiast. I like writing. It gives me this feeling that I can string together words that sound fine.

I've learned through blogging that I'm not cut out for the non writing part of it. Blogging as a challenge is a challenge for me no because of the work I have to put in for each post but because of what needs to be my follow up. I write and forget. I don't register the 'tell people about it bit' at all. 

Blogging has helped me confront my preconceived notions, often when you say thing, you notice how you can twist words around, but when you write them down, it gets definition. I like that. I like having my thoughts defined without any scope for 'may be I felt that way'.

Blogging has taught me to get real. It has taught me that if something isn't up my alley, it just isn't. I realised that I don't have to write fiction because I see so much of it. I am not obligated to do anything. I can keep it as personal and as real as possible. I'm quite happy that knowing my limitations

Blogging helped me tap into something deeper, call it motive, motivation, call it a calling. When I started writing this blog in 2011, I wasn't very sure where I wanted to go, come 2013 I know exactly what I want. I want to write. Done. I want to write something, anything. I love it too much. I just knew I wanted to keeping keying word after word my whole life.

I've learned to get better, I still go back to posts in 2011 and I'm genuinely embarrassed about them. My writing over the last few years has become a little better and my blog has helped track that progress. Fewer typos, fewer grammar booboos. Blogging helped me evolve

Blogging helped me think. I've always wasted time thinking about random crap that doesn't mean much. But with blogging, I didn't want to put out nonsense, I actually spent time reading up, searching some and then writing.  I spent quality time getting work done.


I could go on about the small changes that I've seen in myself, but I don't know if I become more sensitive because of life in general or my blog. If my writing has matured because of blogging, if I've made better friends because of my blog. But the truth is, my blog plays a significant part more in tracking my growth and 'knowing myself' than it does in changing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it or hate it, please go ahead and say it!