Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sputnik Sweetheart -Quotable Stuff


Some quotes really talk to me. And one book that did after a very long time was the Sputnik Sweetheart. I will write a review later. But before I forget these quotes i want to write them down. May be sometime, explain them as well.



“Instead of things I’m good at, it might be faster to list the
things I can’t do. I can’t cook or clean the house. My room’s a
mess, and I’m always losing things. I love music, but I can’t
sing a note. I’m clumsy and can barely sew a stitch. My sense of
direction is the pits, and I can’t tell left from right half the time.
When I get angry, I tend to break things. Plates and pencils,
alarm clocks. Later on I regret it, but at the time I can’t help
myself. I have no money in the bank. I’m bashful for no reason,
and I have hardly any friends to speak of.”
Sumire took a quick breath and forged ahead.



We used to spend hours talking. We never got tired of
talking, never ran out of topics—novels, the world, scenery,
language. Our conversations were more open and intimate
than any lovers’.

“The thought hits me a lot these days that maybe my novelwriting
days are over. The world’s crawling with stupid,
innocent girls, and I’m just one of them, self-consciously
chasing after dreams that’ll never come true. I should shut the
piano lid and come down off the stage. Before it’s too late.”

Do you know what ‘Sputnik’ means in
Russian? ‘Travelling companion’. I looked it up in a dictionary
not long ago. Kind of a strange coincidence if you think about
it. I wonder why the Russians gave their satellite that strange
name. It’s just a poor little lump of metal, spinning around the
Earth.”

And it came to me then. That we were wonderful travelling
companions, but in the end no more than lonely lumps of metal
on their own separate orbits. From far off they look like
beautiful shooting stars, but in reality they’re nothing more
than prisons, where each of us is locked up alone, going
nowhere. When the orbits of these two satellites of ours
happened to cross paths, we could be together. Maybe even
open our hearts to each other. But that was only for the briefest
moment. In the next instant we’d be in absolute solitude. Until
we burned up and became nothing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it or hate it, please go ahead and say it!